Photo credit Chad Peacock
For studio updates and blog:
Kyle Hughes-Odgers is an Australian visual artist. For almost a decade he has exhibited and created artwork throughout Australia and internationally: New York, Los Angeles, London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Berlin and Cambodia. His work is held in numerous private and public art collections.
Hughes-Odgers has completed multiple major public art commissions, which include:
Perth International Airport 6m x 80m, painting, sculptural and LED components (2014). Murdoch University 2.5m x 45m (2010).
DMG Architects stainless steel screen 6m x 40m (2013)
Mitchell Freeway ‘The Gaints View’ 4 storeys (2014) .
His work has been featured in various publications such as Street Art New York, Kingbrown magazine and widely online through artist features, films and interviews. Kyle Hughes-Odgers and Meg Mckinlay (Author) won the 2013 SCBWI Crystal Kite Award for Australia/New Zealand for the children’s book ‘Ten Tiny Things’ published through Fremantle Press.
Selected Solo Exhibitions
2013 – Repetitive Sequences. Walls Gallery Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
2013 – A Thousand Lights from a Hundred Skies. Turner Gallery Perth, Australia
2012 – If We Can’t Control the Boat, Let’s Control the Ocean.Okazi gallery Berlin, Germany
2010 – You Just Have Your Eyes Closed. Turner Gallery Perth, Australia
2009 – Wood and Nails. Distracted Gallery Perth, Australia
2009 – So Many Broken Umbrellas. Gorker Gallery Melbourne, Australia
Selected Public Art Commissions
2014 – From Above. Artwork, 3D and LED light installations. 6m x 80m in total width.
Site specific exterior. Perth International Airport. Australia
2014 – The Giants View. 4 storeys x 4 storeys. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
2014 – Darkroom Concept Bunbury 5m x 3m. Site specific exterior. Bunbury Australia
2014 – Globe Lane 140 William Street 10m x 10m. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
2013 – 1006 Hay St DMG architects 6m x 40m stainless steel perforated screen. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
2013 – Great Hall – Site specific interior CADS Sheffield England
2013 – MINI Australia. 15m billboard on Broadway Street. TVC and online artist feature. Sydney Australia
2013 – Jamie’s Italian. Jamie Oliver restaurant. Site specific interior. Perth Australia.
2013 – City Reliquary Museum. Site specific exterior. Williamsburg, Brooklyn
2013 – Zone Space. City of Kwinana, Australia.
2012 – Lock Lane. Perth Cultural Centre. Site specific exterior approx 50m width. Perth Australia
2012 – Gugeri Street Claremont. Site specific exterior approx 10m in height. Claremont Australia
2012 – Electra Street Bundaberg. Site specific exterior. 7 artists in 7 days. Bundaberg Australia
2012 – Wedge Street Port Hedland. Site specific exterior (2 locations) approx 30m and 10m. FORM. Western Australia
2012 – Gold Lane Subiaco. Site specific exterior approx 15m width. WA
2012 – Planet Books Mt Lawley. Site specific exterior approx 20m width. WA
2010 – Murdoch University ECL Courtyard. Site specific exterior installation on board across 7 panels approx 45m in total width. Murdoch University Art Collection.WA
2010 – Forty Hands. Site Specific interior. Private commission. Singapore.
2010 – Perth International Art Festival, CBD Laneway WA
2009 – St Jerome’s Laneway, Big Day Out, Belvedere 1x,Western Power building – Exterior
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Supermarket – Stockholm Independent Art Fair – Sweden
- Re.Discover – Bunbury Regional art gallery Australia
- Winter – B&B gallery Sheffield – Deck the walls
- C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles – Summer collection
- Walls Gallery Amsterdam
- Beyond Eden Art Fair - L.A Municipal Art Gallery
- Neon Golden Above Second Gallery – Hong Kong
- Scope Art Fair – Munich
- Five – C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles
- Crest Art Show – Brooklyn NYC
- Fall – C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles
- Berlin Gallery week – MMX Gallery Berlin
- Dig Faster – Okazi Gallery Berlin
- The Hours – Tate Gallery Sydney
- KingBrown – Klughaus Gallery NYC
- Bright – Okazi gallery and Delight – Berlin
- Crest Art Show – Brooklyn NYC 2011
- Scope Miami – C.Emerson Fine Art – Miami Florida
- Outpost Project – Cockatoo Island, Sydney Australia
- Go Go Gocco – Outre gallery – Melbourne, Perth and Sydney Australia
- Grassy Lot Show – Ludlow Street. L.E.S – New York City
- Street Art Saved My Life:39 New York Stories- C.A.V.E gallery – Venice Los Angeles
- Sergeant Paper – Paris France
- Microcosm – Lofi Exhibition Space – Sydney
- Last Chance Studio Tour – Perth, Melbourne, Sydney
- Street Art New York – Factory Fresh Gallery – Brooklyn NYC
- Albany Art Prize – Finalist – Vancouver Arts Centre – Albany WA
- Overgrowth 2 – Last Chance Studio – Perth
- Condor Tower Carpark – Condor Tower – Perth
- Unwrapped 09 – United Galleries – Perth
- New Eyes Open – Ambush Gallery – Sydney
- Silver – PICA – Perth
- Kids Today – MTV Gallery – Sydney
- Broken Hands – Per Square Metre Gallery – Melbourne
Insite Magazine, Juxtapoz online, Dirtyface, Street Art New York, Brooklyn Street art, The West Australian , Cracker Your Wardrobe Korea, Artist’s Chronicle, Push, The Wire Magazine, Xpress Fashion, Frankie, Acclaim, Skywest inflight magazine, The Vine, The Age, Sunday Times, Relative magazine, Empty magazine, We are the image makers, Kingbrown magazine, Woodentoy magazine.
Murdoch University Edith Cowan University City of Perth Art Angels Turner galleries Royal Perth Hospital DMG Architects Kerry Stokes
2013 SCBWI Crystal Kite Award – Australia/New Zealand. ‘Ten Tiny Things’ written by Meg McKinlay illustrated by Kyle Hughes-Odgers published through Fremantle Press.
2013 The Wilderness Society Enviroment Award for Children’s Literature – Shortlisted Ten Tiny Things written by Meg McKinlay illustrated by Kyle Hughes-Odgers published through Fremantle Press.
2012 Residency – FORM Courthouse Gallery – Port Hedland, Australia
2012 The Ironlak Graffiti Competition REGION 1. Australia/New Zealand. GOLD: Ayres, Creepy, Daek, Fecks and Ruset.
2012 Finalist – Lethbridge Art Prize, Queensland
2011 Artist in Residence (2 weeks) – Santa Maria College, Perth
2011 Development – Department of Culture and the Arts Western Australia
2010 Finalist – Albany Art Prize, City of Albany
2009 Artflight – Department of Culture and the Arts Western Australia
2014 On a Small Island – Written and Illustrated by Kyle Hughes-Odgers. Published Fremantle Press.
2012 Ten Tiny Things – Written by Meg McKinlay, Illustrated by Kyle Hughes-Odgers. Published Fremantle Arts Press.