Kyle Hughes-Odgers is one of Australia’s leading young visual artists. For over a decade he has exhibited and created artwork throughout Australia and internationally: New York City, Washington DC, Los Angeles, London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Berlin and Cambodia. His work is held in numerous private and public art collections. Hughes-Odgers has completed multiple major public art commissions, which include: Perth International Airport 6m x 80m, painting, sculptural and LED components (2014), Washington DC Nst Mural Project 2 sides of 4 storey building (2014), Mitchell Freeway ‘The Gaints View’ 4 storeys (2014), DMG Architects stainless steel screen 6m x 40m (2013) and Murdoch University 2.5m x 45m (2010). His work has been featured in various publications such as Street Art New York, Street Art Melbourne, Kingbrown magazine and widely online through artist features, films and interviews. Kyle Hughes-Odgers and Meg Mckinlay (Author) won the 2013 SCBWI Crystal Kite Award for Australia/New Zealand for the children’s book Ten Tiny Things published through Fremantle Press. His latest picture book, On a Small Island, was published in October 2014 by Fremantle Press.
For studio updates and blog:
Selected Solo Exhibitions
2014 – On a Small Island. (original paintings from the book) State Library of Western Australia.
2014 – All The Wrong Places. CAVE Gallery Los Angeles, USA.
2013 – Repetitive Sequences. Walls Gallery Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
2013 – A Thousand Lights from a Hundred Skies. Turner Gallery Perth, Australia
2012 – If We Can’t Control the Boat, Let’s Control the Ocean.Okazi gallery Berlin, Germany
2010 – You Just Have Your Eyes Closed. Turner Gallery Perth, Australia
2009 – Wood and Nails. Distracted Gallery Perth, Australia
2009 – So Many Broken Umbrellas. Gorker Gallery Melbourne, Australia
Selected Public Art Commissions / Projects
2015 – Gaint Children’s book. In collaboration with Perth International arts festival, James Foley and 8 public schools, created as a gift from the children of Perth to the little girl giant for the Giants Royal de Luxe event.
2015 – Wonderwalls. 2 Storey. Site specific exterior. Port Adelaide S.Australia
2015 – BREC Bunbury 3 Storey. Site specific exterior. Bunbury Australia
2014 – Baldivis. Collab with Brad Eastman. 2 walls x 4m x 15m. Site specific exterior. W.Australia
2014 – Nst Mural Project. 2 sides of 4 storey building . Site specific exterior. Washington DC. USA
2014 – Art & About Darling Quarter. 2.4m x 2.4 x 4 (cube). Site specific exterior. Sydney Australia
2014 – Barkly Square. 5m x 3m. Site specific exterior. Melbourne Australia
2014 – From Above. Artwork, 3D and LED light installations. 6m x 80m in total width.
Site specific exterior. Perth International Airport. Australia
2014 – The Giants View. 4 storeys x 4 storeys. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
2014 – Darkroom Concept Bunbury 5m x 3m. Site specific exterior. Bunbury Australia
2014 – Globe Lane 140 William Street 10m x 10m. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
2013 – 1006 Hay St DMG architects 6m x 40m stainless steel perforated screen. Site specific exterior. Perth Australia
2013 – Great Hall – Site specific interior CADS Sheffield England
2013 – MINI Australia. 15m billboard on Broadway Street. TVC and online artist feature. Sydney Australia
2013 – Jamie’s Italian. Jamie Oliver restaurant. Site specific interior. Perth Australia.
2013 – City Reliquary Museum. Site specific exterior. Williamsburg, Brooklyn
2013 – Zone Space. City of Kwinana, Australia.
2012 – Lock Lane. Perth Cultural Centre. Site specific exterior approx 50m width. Perth Australia
2012 – Gugeri Street Claremont. Site specific exterior approx 10m in height. Claremont Australia
2012 – Electra Street Bundaberg. Site specific exterior. 7 artists in 7 days. Bundaberg Australia
2012 – Wedge Street Port Hedland. Site specific exterior (2 locations) approx 30m and 10m. FORM. Western Australia
2012 – Gold Lane Subiaco. Site specific exterior approx 15m width. WA
2012 – Planet Books Mt Lawley. Site specific exterior approx 20m width. WA
2010 – Murdoch University ECL Courtyard. Site specific exterior installation on board across 7 panels approx 45m in total width. Murdoch University Art Collection.WA
2010 – Forty Hands. Site Specific interior. Private commission. Singapore.
2010 – Perth International Art Festival, CBD Laneway WA
2009 – St Jerome’s Laneway, Big Day Out, Belvedere 1x,Western Power building – Exterior
Selected Group Exhibitions
– Art Basel – Miami
– Art & About / Ambush Gallery. Darling Quarter. Sydney Australia
– Albany Art Prize – Finalist – Vancouver Arts Centre – Albany WA
– Melbourne Art Fair / Represented by Turner Galleries – Melbourne
– Public – Form Gallery – Perth
- Supermarket – Stockholm Independent Art Fair – Sweden
– Re.Discover – Bunbury Regional art gallery Australia
– Winter – B&B gallery Sheffield – Deck the walls
– C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles – Summer collection
– Walls Gallery Amsterdam
– Beyond Eden Art Fair – L.A Municipal Art Gallery
– Neon Golden Above Second Gallery – Hong Kong
– Scope Art Fair – Munich
– Five – C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles
– Crest Art Show – Brooklyn NYC
– Fall – C.A.V.E Gallery Los Angeles
– Berlin Gallery week – MMX Gallery Berlin
– Dig Faster – Okazi Gallery Berlin
– The Hours – Tate Gallery Sydney
– KingBrown – Klughaus Gallery NYC
– Bright – Okazi gallery and Delight – Berlin
– Crest Art Show – Brooklyn NYC 2011
– Scope Miami – C.Emerson Fine Art – Miami Florida
– Outpost Project – Cockatoo Island, Sydney Australia
– Go Go Gocco – Outre gallery – Melbourne, Perth and Sydney Australia
– Grassy Lot Show – Ludlow Street. L.E.S – New York City
– Street Art Saved My Life:39 New York Stories- C.A.V.E gallery – Venice Los Angeles
– Sergeant Paper – Paris France
– Microcosm – Lofi Exhibition Space – Sydney
– Last Chance Studio Tour – Perth, Melbourne, Sydney
– Street Art New York – Factory Fresh Gallery – Brooklyn NYC
– Albany Art Prize – Finalist – Vancouver Arts Centre – Albany WA
– Overgrowth 2 – Last Chance Studio – Perth
– Condor Tower Carpark – Condor Tower – Perth
– Unwrapped 09 – United Galleries – Perth
– New Eyes Open – Ambush Gallery – Sydney
– Silver – PICA – Perth
– Kids Today – MTV Gallery – Sydney
– Broken Hands – Per Square Metre Gallery – Melbourne
Murdoch University, Edith Cowan University, Peter Williams, City of Perth, Art Angels Turner galleries, Royal Perth Hospital, DMG Architects, Kerry Stokes, State Library of Western Australia, Peter Jackson.
2014 – Albany Art Prize – Finalist – City of Albany
2013 SCBWI Crystal Kite Award – Australia/New Zealand. ‘Ten Tiny Things’ written by Meg McKinlay illustrated by Kyle Hughes-Odgers published through Fremantle Press.
2013 The Wilderness Society Enviroment Award for Children’s Literature – Shortlisted Ten Tiny Things written by Meg McKinlay illustrated by Kyle Hughes-Odgers published through Fremantle Press.
2012 Residency – FORM Courthouse Gallery – Port Hedland, Australia
2012 The Ironlak Graffiti Competition REGION 1. Australia/New Zealand. GOLD: Ayres, Creepy, Daek, Fecks and Ruset.
2012 Finalist – Lethbridge Art Prize, Queensland
2011 Artist in Residence (2 weeks) – Santa Maria College, Perth
2011 Development – Department of Culture and the Arts Western Australia
2010 Albany Art Prize – Finalist – City of Albany
2009 Artflight – Department of Culture and the Arts Western Australia
Insite Magazine, Juxtapoz online, Scoop, Dirtyface, Street Art New York, Street Art Melbourne, Brooklyn Street art, Artist’s Chronicle, The Wire Magazine, Frankie, Acclaim, The Age, Sunday Times, Relative magazine, Empty magazine, We are the image makers, Kingbrown magazine, Woodentoy magazine.
2014 On a Small Island – Written and Illustrated by Kyle Hughes-Odgers. Published Fremantle Press.
2012 Ten Tiny Things – Written by Meg McKinlay, Illustrated by Kyle Hughes-Odgers. Published Fremantle Arts Press.